12-hours bandh peaceful in Sabroom

By Our Correspondent

Agartala, Jun 14, 2012 : Amidst political tension following death of a villager, the 12 hours bandh called separately by ruling CPI (M) and Congress, passed off by and large peacefully.

Normal life came to a standstill in Sabroom following the 12-hours Bandh on Thursday. Since morning, Sabroom took a deserted look. There were no vehicular movements on roads including NH 44. All village market shops including Sabroom and Manu Bazar kept their shutters down and the markets remained closed.

On Wednesday, both party workers engaged in pitched battles charging each other with the killing of one villager Narendra Tripura (42) of Kaladepa (Naisingh Sardar Para) under Manu Bazar police station on June 12 last.

However, no major casualty has been reported so far, but on Thursday also opposition Congress alleged that four of their party workers have been assaulted by CPM cadres.

Massive number of security forces were deployed in entire Sabroom and Manu Bazar areas of the subdivision to quell the skirmishes between both the parties.

Police added that, Narendra Tripura (42) went out from his house for collecting jackfruit from the orchard located at Keladepa. But he did not return back to his house till the evening of the Tuesday. Thereafter the relative of Narendra Tripura and other villagers conducted search and found his dead body riddled with sharp cut injuries at Kaladhepa cashew garden ,about 6 KM south-east from police station.

After the incident was reported police rushed to the spot and recovered the dead body and sent the body to hospital morgue for autopsy.

Police also said that motive of the crime is yet to be ascertained.

Claiming the slain villager as their supporter, hundreds of Congress supporters blockaded the National Highway at Manu Bazar. Immediately, hundreds of CPM supporters also took out a protest rally , which led to a clash between CPM and Congress supporters.

Massive number of police and TSR personnel rushed to spot and brought the situation under control.

As the tension continued, a PCC team headed by MLA Ashish Saha rushed to Manu Bazar. After visiting the area, the PCC team met senior police officer and demanded handing over of the body of the Narendra Tripura to them. By the time ruling party also demanded handing over the body to them as deceased was a supporter of CPM.

Later, police handed over the body to the victim family as per the rule of law.

However, Congress alleged that the slain Narendra Tripura joined their party on last May 20 leaving CPM and CPM cadres killed him as revenge. Local CPM leaders also condemned the killing and claimed slain person was active worker of party’s tribal youth front.

An FIR has been lodged at Manu Bazar police station by the brother of the slain person demanding immediate arrest of the killers.

You can post your comments below  
Name * :  
e-mail * :  
Address :  
Comments * :  
Posted comments
Till now no approved comments is available.